Objectives and Guiding Principles
1. To support education, health, literacy
and life-skills programs in low caste communities in the Bodhgaya
region of Bihar State, India.
2. To raise funds and use these funds
to support only schools or other programs which have Indian Government
approval for receiving funds from overseas through the Foreign
Contribution Regulation Act. To also provide teacher training
and management support for these programs when required.
3. To support those programs which respect the diversity of religious
views in Bodhgaya and which encourage self-reliance.
4. To ensure that over 95% of funds donated
will be used by programs in Bodhgaya.
5. To help adults and school students
in Australia understand the culture, circumstances and difficulties
of life in Bodhgaya. To foster communication between school students
in Australia and school students in Bodhgaya. To help Australians
travelling in India meet community members, staff and students
of the supported programs.
6. To co-operate with and offer non-financial
support to donors and other aid organisations involved in the
same or similar programs in Bodhgaya.
Prajna Vihar Schoold dance
and music teacher
While attending to the above objectives,
the Association will be guided by the following principles.
1. The Association will function as a
secular not-for-profit body and members will offer their services
to the Association on a totally voluntary basis. The Association
will make no payments to members for travel expenses.
2. The Association will conduct its activities
with a respect for and sensitivity to the social environment
in Bodhgaya. The Association will also conduct its activities
with a sense of care for the natural environment.
3. The Association will not discriminate
on the basis of gender, race or religion.
4. The Association will endeavour to
develop understanding in Australia for the culture and circumstances
in Bodhgaya. It will also endeavour to develop, where possible,
understanding in Bodhgaya for the culture and circumstances in
5. The Association will ensure that wherever
possible funds raised are distributed in line with the association's